[CentralOH] Pyp - Piping Python through Pipes

Patrick Shuff patrick.shuff at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 08:31:16 CET 2012

Hey Pythonistas!

A coworker mentioned this python project last week and I figured I would
pass it along since there was recent discussion of piping on the mailing
list.

http://code.google.com/p/pyp/

Here is a quick description from the project:

Pyp is a linux command line text manipulation tool similar to awk or sed,
> but which uses standard python string and list methods as well as custom
> functions evolved to generate fast results in an intense production
> environment. Pyed Pyper was developed at Sony Pictures Imageworks to
> facilitate the construction of complex image manipulation "one-liner"
> commands during visual effects work on *Alice in Wonderland, Green
> Lantern,* and the *The Amazing Spiderman.*

And a quick example from the project:

ls | pyp "p.replace('maybe','yes') | pp.sort() | pp[1:3] |p , p ,
> p.strip('abc') | whitespace | p[3], 'no' | p.upper() "

Looks pretty interesting!  I plan to put some time into it this week :)

Enjoy!

Patrick
*
*