[CentralOH] How do .eggs work in search paths?

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 04:08:24 CET 2012

Hello,

I have a basic question.  I am trying to put Mezzanine under Apache using
wsgi.  In order to not clutter up the system site-packages directory, I
have a directory like so:

/srv/website/www/site-packages

Under this site-packages are a number of packages provided by Mezzanine:

bleach-1.1.5-py2.6.egg
filebrowser_safe-0.2.12-py2.6.egg
Mezzanine-1.2.4-py2.6.egg
pytz-2012h-py2.6.egg
Django-1.4.2-py2.6.egg
grappelli_safe-0.2.10-py2.6.egg
Pillow-1.7.8-py2.6-linux-x86_64.egg
setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg
easy-install.pth
html5lib-0.95-py2.6.egg
pip-1.1-py2.6.egg
setuptools.pth

The eggs are really directories themselves, and under each .egg lies the
module.  So for example, under Mezzanine-1.2.4-py2.6.egg, there's a
'mezzanine' directory.

In the wsgi launcher, I have a call like this:

sys.path.append('/srv/website/www/site-packages')

This appears to not be working, as Apache can't find any of the modules
under that site-packages directory that are within the eggs.

Is there a cleaner or more elegant way to get to where I want to be?

Thanks!
-JK