[CentralOH] Automated Patches

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Fri Oct 26 00:26:32 CEST 2012

Does a library exist for something like I describe below exist?
If so, I'd prefer to use it and avoid re-inventing the wheel
and NIH[1].

I'm dealing with a many input files, some of which have some bad
data. Coding one-off ad-hoc workarounds is bad for production.
I'm tempted to write a file-like class for reading the input
files and automatically finding and applying corresponding
patch files. The patch files would be UNIX patch files and
their names would be the input file name or sha1sum of the
input file, with '.patch' appended.

The generation of the patch files would be manual.
That hassle would not be eliminated,
but the application of them would be automated,
and the input files would be maintained in their original
state, so one wouldn't have to worry about whether one
had the original or corrected version of the input file.

[1] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Not_Invented_Here