[CentralOH] Automated Patches

Neil Ludban nludban at columbus.rr.com
Mon Oct 29 23:25:47 CET 2012

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:53:34 -0400
jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:48:16 -0700, Austin Godber <godber at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am not sure if I have fully grokked your problem, ...
>
> I am archiving data files as originally received.
> It is a requirement to preserve the original files
> as received, regardless of how good or bad they are.
> They are all compressed. There are many files.
> Some of them are around 1/2 Gigabyte.
> We have enough data that we have to move files that are not
> likely to be needed, from production servers, to off-line
> storage.

The internets suggest that subversion is using zlib compression for
everything -- network communications, server side file storage, and
server side delta storage.  You would need to decompress the originals
before committing, but then the server would manage your patches and
history.  (Test this to see if it's true and works well with your
file contents.)

I believe the latest release of subversion includes its own patch
program, which likely provides the same set of options on all
client platforms.

You can move an entire subversion server file-backed repository
offline, eg create a new repo every month.  But, your clients
would need to calculate an extra component for each file URL.

Lastly, put the subversion servers behind Apache and then you can
more easily access the files from Python using http (vs using the
Python interface to the subversion C-language client API).