[CentralOH] Ohio LinuxFest table

Catherine Devlin catherine.devlin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 23:54:09 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Eric Floehr <eric at intellovations.com> wrote:

> Can someone make one? The ones with the shroud and the leftovers from last
> year are probably sufficient unless there is a creative individual out there
> with some time!

Let's just go with what we have unless some magically appear, then.

>> PyOhio T-shirts to raffle
>>   And a jar to collect submissions
>>   And blank slips for people without business cards
>>   We should decide how exactly to run the raffle.  Should we draw once
>> in the early afternoon and again near the end of the day, and post the
>> names for people to pick up their shirts?  Should they need to pick it
>> up in person?

OK, I was thinking of the raffle as a (1) goody to get people to
linger at the table and (2) maybe get their addresses to stick into
the pyohio at python.org mailing list.  (Or Emma?  I don't know what
we've done with that).  If you don't think those objectives are worth
the effort, that's fine too.

Candy would accomplish much of (1) anyway.  :)

I'm thinking that we could collect names in a jar, draw one at midday
and two more near the end, pin up the winners' names, and hand it to
them if they show up to check.

I don't really want to mail shirts to winners, so if they don't pick
it up the shirts could revert to PyOhio (or we could say "pick it up
at the next COHPy meeting if you missed it.  Or at PyCon 2013.")

> I say instead, a free t-shirt to anyone who volunteers at the table!

That's fine too!

If we've got the extras, we could also put a few in LinuxFest's main
raffle, just as a way of thanking OLF (they're not charging us for the
table) and incidentally getting our "ad" out there.

> I set up Square and have it on my phone. That's what we did for PyOhio. I
> don't have a cashbox, but could get one. With all the free t-shirts, do we
> think a lot of folks will be buying them for a $30 donation?

I really don't know how sales would be.  I'm assuming that we want
opportunities to transform surplus T-shirts into funding and that this
could be an opportunity.  Definitely not necessary if we can't/don't
want to do it.

Come to think of it, if we do it, let's just go with Square.  Cash is
so second-millenium.

>>   Also, one year, somebody brought an awesome stand that angled a
>> laptop screen nicely, but I don't remember who
>

> That was me, and I'll bring it again. However, it would be nice to know if
> we have any power, because we'll run out a juice pretty quickly if not.

I don't think we can know that in advance, though we can improve our
chances if we bring a power strip and an extension cord.

You could bring it and leave it in the car if we're powerless (if you
feel safe doing that) or show PyOhio videos if we have power (which
we'll have to download in advance with NetVideoHunter or something,
ironically no internet at OLF).  But this is omittable if it's not
easy.

> I'll bring the non-checked-out COhPy library to sit out, along with a couple
> from my personal collection (Al Sweigart's two Python Computer Game books,
> Hello World!, etc.) that would show the range of application for Python.

Oh, very good.  Thanks!

See you Saturday!

--
- Catherine