[CentralOH] 2013-02-21 道場

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Fri Feb 22 05:22:23 CET 2013

2013-02-21

Così is shutting down the Bethel Road restaurant at 2pm on Friday.
They had already turned off the Wifi,
so we moved to the Panera on Bethel near Microcenter.

    Panera Bread
    877 Bethel Rd.
    Columbus, OH 43214

Panera closes at 8:30pm, but we stayed later with no hassle.
The Wifi was OK. The access occasionally timed out,
requiring reclicking on access proxy.
Bandwidth was OK, we downloaded much for installation per

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/centraloh/2013-February/001544.html
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/centraloh/2013-February/001551.html

plain text email rules!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_text

-y option for apt-get instead of yes |
vagrant: cool stuff for setting Larry Ellison's VirtualBox
What is there like vagrant for QEMU/kvm?

apt-get build-dep source_pkg

Learning Python the Hard Way
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/ex23.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/centraloh/2013-February/001544.html has
example of using git to fetch Python stuff:

    git clone https://github.com/brandon-rhodes/astronomy-notebooks/

At the right time, one can see Iridium satellites and the ISS
with one's bare eyes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_flare
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station
http://heavens-above.com/?lat=40&lng=-83&alt=280&loc=Columbus%2c+Ohio&tz=EST
http://heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=40&lng=-83&loc=Columbus%2c+Ohio&alt=280&tz=EST
http://heavens-above.com/IridiumFlares.aspx?lat=40&lng=-83&loc=Columbus%2c+Ohio&alt=280&tz=EST
Need Precise lat/long (with 1km or better) for iridium flares.

IPython is cool.  Good tour:
http://pyvideo.org/video/1605/science-and-python-retrospective-of-a-mostly-s

For installing ipython notebook and friends on *buntu 12.10
for "Python for Data Analysis", follow recipe per
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/centraloh/2013-February/001544.html
It just works, (even though it has hokey 'yes | ' stuff).

Resize a Windows (NTFS) partition to be smaller.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GParted
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Parted
Be sure to back up one's data before screwing around with partitioning.
Then install Linux in free space.

Try Linux without disturbing existing Windows installation,
by using a live CD.  Great for playing with Linux or Python without
installing on the computer.  Great for forensics and system recovery also.
Great for trying a Linux distro before installing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoppix

    boot: knoppix no3d noswap

The noswap option is important for not accidentally modifying the hard drive.
Many linux disks can be used as live CD/DVDs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_live_CDs

Regular monthly meeting is on Monday at Tech Columbus.
Will probably adjourn afterwards to restaurant
such as but not limited to Brazenhead on Fifth Avenue.

http://www.hdrestaurants.com/brazenhead/5thavenue/
http://www.hdrestaurants.com/brazenhead/5thavenue/print_directions.htm