[CentralOH] OS Package Managers and Python

Austin Godber godber at gmail.com
Tue May 14 00:19:04 CEST 2013

Hello Mark

On OSX, I've had decent luck with MacPorts (and with homebrew).  Another
stand alone option would be to use pythonz (
https://github.com/saghul/pythonz), it allows local installation of
specific versions of multiple Python interpreters (including stackless,
pypy, and jython, but definitely 3.3).

On Ubuntu, I tend to use the supplied 2.7 release.

I always use virtualenv (by means of virtualenv wrapper) to lockdown and
isolate my project dependencies.  This achieves something similar to what
ruby's bundler does (though by different means) or like gemsets in RVM.
 Basically a virtualenv is a project specific place where packages get
installed.  Typically its kept separate from the global python packages
supplied by the OS.  I gave a presentation to COHPy on virtualenv a few
years back, and just recently to DesertPy ... presentation available online
here: http://desertpy.com/pages/presentations.html
Though you're better off just looking at the virtualenv wrapper docs.

Austin