[CentralOH] chr()/ord() Ugliness

michael at yanovich.net michael at yanovich.net
Mon Nov 11 18:34:50 CET 2013

On 11/11/2013 12:27 PM, Eric Floehr wrote:
> 2. It will return different results based on your locale setting (which is
> why it was removed in Python 3. Changing constants are bad).

Interesting, I didn't know it changed based on locale.

So, I guess in a more general term, if one wanted a way to constantly access
letters A-Z it would probably be better to hard code a string like so?

In [1]: myupper = 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'

or maybe,

In [8]: ''.join([chr(x) for x in range(65,65+26)])
Out[8]: 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'

--
Michael Yanovich