[CentralOH] My presentation files, video, docs

Eric Floehr eric at intellovations.com
Tue Oct 29 16:04:07 CET 2013

I've put the files from my presentation last night on github here:

https://github.com/efloehr/cohpy-oct2013

This presentation was an introduction to Python image processing using PIL
and matplotlib. It also talked a little about some nifty Python features
like the enumerate built-in.

You will need PIL, matplotlib, and ImageMagick (at least on Linux) to run
these programs.

For PIL, I would recommend the pillow fork, as it is the more maintained
version.

To make a movie out of the individual images generated, I ran ffmpeg with
defaults:

ffmpeg -i done/%d.png movie.mp4

The movie shown in the presentation can be viewed here:

http://youtu.be/hNAMsyzoW3A

Technologies introduced:

PIL, specifically the pillow fork, for image manipulation:
    Code: https://github.com/python-imaging/Pillow
    Docs: http://pillow.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Matplotlib, for graphing: http://matplotlib.org/

Built-in Python modules os, os.path, and fnmatch:
    os:      http://docs.python.org/2/library/os.html
    os.path: http://docs.python.org/2/library/os.path.html
    fnmatch: http://docs.python.org/2/library/fnmatch.html

Unpacking list into a set of arguments to a function:
http://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/controlflow.html#unpacking-argument-lists

The enumerate built-in:
http://docs.python.org/2/library/functions.html#enumerate