[CentralOH] Scribbles - EA Spouse letter

Jason Conaway jwconaway at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 19:02:37 CEST 2013

As a former EA employee, I (and my wife) can attest to the EA Spouse
letter. For example, when working on Golden Eye: Rogue Agent, I worked
120 hours/week for a few months in a row. Similarly, after several
months of crunch-time on Medal of Honor: Frontline, I finished the
project by working a continuous 72 hours shift, with no sleep! This was
deemed necessary to fix remaining bugs and hit our second declared ship
date; we had no chance of hitting our first declared ship date, months
earlier.

Fortunately, most EA studios took the criticism to heart. Or maybe it
was the lawsuits that made the difference. Regardless, working
conditions got much better after the EA Spouse letter went public. The
video games industry is still a demanding work environment, but not as
intense as it once was. It is also one of the most fun and rewarding
work environments, which is why I'm still in it, after 17 years.