[CentralOH] Python Rising: The Rise And Fall of Languages in 2013

Eric Floehr eric at intellovations.com
Fri Jan 10 19:21:09 CET 2014

Interesting! Go Python! I know I've been really impressed lately with the
number of IPython Notebook based blog posts walking though crunching
datasets (like movie body count, three-point shot percentages, etc.).

But I was struck by the names of three C/C++/systems programming language
replacements. I know that there has been research on baby names and
success, I wonder if it holds true to programming languages.

For example, knowing that "Rust", "Nimrod", and "Go" occupy nearly the same
language-space and nothing else, I lean towards "Go" because of the
negative connotations of the other names. I realize my biases are
English-language based, and maybe U.S.-based (in the case of the negative
connotation of Nimrod).