[CentralOH] 2014-01-17 道場 Scribbles 落書/惡文? Much more

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Mon Jan 20 22:09:56 CET 2014

The most interesting thing[1] was interesting because I should have known it.
It used the dictionary get method to count words.

    counts = {}
    for word in words_list:
        counts[word] = counts.get(word, 0) + 1

We had to look it up in Learning Python by Mark Lutz.
(p 210 in a printing of 4th edition.)

It reminded me of the introductory examples on starting on page 19 of pfda[2].

Someone just passed the CISSP exam, so now can play with Python.
If he passed, his employer would pay for it (about $600).
If he failed, his employer would not pay for it.
It was a four hour multiple choice exam.
One gets a pass/fail grade. 70% is passing.
One is not told how well one did.

http://scott.a16z.com/2014/01/17/success-at-work-failure-at-home/
http://bhorowitz.com/2014/01/02/can-do-vs-cant-do-cultures/

wp:Newton's method
need to by my post my euler to github Euler #80 11.7 ms
https://github.com/fandi-peng/Project_Euler/raw/master/code/euler80.py

someone was messing with vincent 2013-05-09
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/centraloh/2013-May/001670.html

wp:Linear algebra
wp:Linear programming

wp:Weibull distribution

Bunnie doing open source hardware
wp:Andrew Huang
http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=69&doc_id=1320638
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/08/23/workshop-video-36-beers-in-bunnies-workshop/
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/04/19/video-hua-qiang-bei-market-in-shenzhen-china/

http://www.zdnet.com/uks-security-branch-says-ubuntu-most-secure-end-user-os-7000025312/

nbconvert crashes converting .ipynb to html or pdf
    simple ones work
    complex ones, such as with Latex, crash

ghosts can not be shone in China
    shall not promote superstitious stuff in China

http://172.17.153.149:8000/Word_Count_Example.ipynb
counts = dict()
for word in words_list:
    counts[word] = counts.get(word, 0) + 1

wp:Chromium (web browser)
wp:SRWare Iron

There are towns in China that are built as movie sets to promote the making of
movies there. Do the residents become extras?
wp:Extra (acting)

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/tree/master/examples/notebooks#a-collection-of-notebooks-for-using-ipython-effectively
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/ipython/ipython/blob/master/examples/notebooks/Part%204%20-%20Markdown%20Cells.ipynb

wp:CISSP

CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they
ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's
eyes to improve his vision.

PITH, n. See Dorothy Parker
Tallulah Bankhead
What do Tata and Ford have in common?

The Devil's Dictionary

pypy is faster than cpython
speed.pypy.org

open-source food?
http://www.wildfermentation.com/
http://www.npr.org/2012/06/13/154914381/fermentation-when-food-goes-bad-but-stays-good

wp:Charles Csuri
http://oncampus.osu.edu/v29n18/thisissue_6.html
https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=charles%20csuri%20wosu%20beyond%20boundaries
wp:Lava lamp

Polymorphism (computer science), the ability in computer programming to present
the same interface for differing underlying forms (data types).
Operator overloading can be an example of polymorphism.
wp:Polymorphism (computer science)
wp:Operator overloading
Python supports polymorphism

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 19:48:27 -0500, Fandi Peng <fandi.814 at gmail.com> wrote:

>     https://github.com/brandon-rhodes/astronomy-notebooks

That's a great introduction to (i)python and is getting some maintainance
attention, including the addition of a pandas notebook.

There are probably more notes and ipython notebooks coming for
this dojo.

[1] See http://colug.net/python/dojo/20140117/word-count-example-rev2.ipynb

[2] Python for Data Analysis by Wes McKinney
    this book just keeps coming back up
    http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023784.do
    http://blog.wesmckinney.com/