[CentralOH] Removing Punctuation

pybokeh pybokeh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 03:24:50 CET 2014

Thanks for this.

I thought I could replace a punctuation mark with a single white space
by doing this:
S.translate(S.maketrans(" ", " ", string.punctuation))

But that didn't work.  Any ideas how to replace a punctuation mark with
a single white space?

The reason being, what if there is no space after a punctuation mark or
three periods were used:
"Mary had a little lamb...little lamb...little lamb! Do you know what
Mary's problem is?No I do not!"

Then "isNo" ends up being counted as a word and also "lamblittle", so I
want to prevent this by
replacing a punctuation mark with a singe white space instead of no
white space.