[CentralOH] Conda Versus Virtualenv

pybokeh pybokeh at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 21:03:29 CET 2014

If you are on Windows machine and will be using numpy/scipy, definitely use
conda over virtualenv/pyvenv.  On Linux, if you don't mind waiting longer
to install packages, then sure go right ahead and use virtualenv/pyvenv
over conda.  You will then have the latest version of the packages in the
repositories.

Virtualenv/pyven and conda are similar except with conda, it has
pre-compiled packages that it just downloads and then installs right from
the get-go. So no compilation step, no need to have C or Fortran
compilers.  With virtualenv/pyvenv depending on the package, there's an
additional and longer compilation step.
So if you're using Linux machine and not using packages that depend on C or
Fortran compilation, maybe there isn't too much advantage to using conda
over virtualenv/pyvenv.  But conda has some nifty commands that make it
easy to create a python 2 vs python 3 environment.  For example, if you
install conda installation for python 3, you can still create a python 2
environment by just adding python=2 or python=2.7 in the conda command (
http://continuum.io/blog/anaconda-python-3).  I can see if you just want to
stick with the tooling that comes with your default Python installation
that you would just stick with pyvenv instead of having to install a 3rd
party package management system like Anaconda/conda.  But for me, I just
got tired of the hassle with compiling.

For a list of packages that are available by default by conda:
http://docs.continuum.io/anaconda/pkg-docs.html

CAVEAT: I've only been using Python for maybe 4 or 5 yrs and Linux even
less, so I could be wrong with the details.  I'm sure a Python veteran can
better explain or correct me.  All I know for sure, if you're using Windows
and need to make Python virtual environments, you really have no choice but
use conda.