[CentralOH] Why Python? Continued . . .

James Bonanno james at atlantixeng.com
Mon Oct 13 15:48:22 CEST 2014

Eric;

Just some follow up comments to the great links for why Python? and
these links are grounded and solid. It seems significant that so many
universities are using Python as the introductory course. When I survey
all the languages, Object Orientation seems to be easiest to grasp in
Python, but just as effective as any other language.

I would add another category to the why Python? area, and that is the
supplemental languages like Cython. I see this as a real and emergent
way to have C performance when you want it and need it. I would also
have to say that Numpy, Scipy, etc. have created a sort of
democratization in engineering, where there is no limitation to the
number of users of the language, particularly compared to Matlab. In the
Matlab case, it's easy to spend between 20K and 50K per user in any
given company. When you add the recurring cost of software maintenance
to this, you're potentially talking about several hundreds of thousands
to millions of dollars in savings depending on the number of engineers
in the company.

James