[CentralOH] Monthly Meeting: Monday, August 31

Eric Floehr eric at intellovations.com
Sun Aug 23 23:53:52 CEST 2015

RSVP here:
http://www.meetup.com/Central-Ohio-Python-Users-Group/events/221848345/

We will be meeting at Pillar as usual. This meeting was originally
scheduled for July, but due to a last minute snafu, we had to push this to
August.

The informal meeting will begin at 6:00pm, with the formal presentation
starting promptly at 6:30pm. We will adjourn no later than 8:30pm to
Brazenhead for the after-meeting.

Since we had to reschedule Rob for this month, this may look like a repeat
of last month but isn't :-). This month, Rob Kinyon will be presenting on
configuration management with Python and Salt:

Chef and Puppet own the mindshare for configuration management tools. But,
they suck, for a variety of reasons. Salt doesn't suck. Again, for a
variety of reasons, some of which are related to the Python view on life.
And it's extendable in Python.

Why do I want to use Salt at all?

How do I even think about Salt?

How do I use Salt?

How do I fit Salt into my project?

How do I extend Salt?

Devops is a very complex process. At the heart is an idempotent state
management system. Like Chef, Puppet, or . . . Salt. But, it's really easy
to use these tools in a way that doesn't leverage their strengths. That's
dumb - let's fix that.