[CentralOH] conda.io - using conda for virtual environments and package management

pybokeh pybokeh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 16:20:25 CET 2015

I think the real advantage is if you are on  Windows or don't want to
compile packages from source.  Since conda is part of Anaconda
distribution, there are already many popular pre-compiled binaries readily
available and Continuum IO the company behind Anaconda usually do a decent
job of quickly getting the latest version of their packages pushed out.  If
a package is not available in Anaconda, you can still install it using pip.

Also this is subjective, but I prefer the conda's more user-friendly
command line arguments over virtualenv's commands.  For example, if you
want to create an environment for a specific python version, in conda it is
just python=2.7 or python=3.4 whereas in virtualenv, you have to provide
the full path to the python interpreter.

This is about all I can think of off the top of my head.  I used to use
virtualenv, but I guess I got less patient over the years waiting on
compiling a package from source.

- Daniel