[CentralOH] ... bourne

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Oct 12 16:53:29 CEST 2015

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:

> http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/bourne/v7/
> Yikes! from Caldera

In my opinion, elaborated over on the COLUG list, as a general
rule, it is safer to not go beyond simple for maximal
portability
	/bin/sh ...

if one must, Bourne, csh, tcsh, ash, whatever

But as a historical matter, there are at least two Caldera's
to consider -- pre and post SCO.  The license file linked at
the initial page was, I think, the effort of the 'good'
Caldera folks to respect the contributions of the community
and the well from which Open Source all drinks; the later
(litigious) Caldera / SCO was flailing to satisfy its profit
seeking corporate masters and dropping dead animal
carcasses into the well as a form of blackmail, etc[1]

The FOSS community is stronger for the re-examination of IP
rights on the sources, but it was not a effortless thing as we
developed the needed anti-bodies to not succumb to the
dysentery tactic SCO tried

-- Russ herrold

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/33122/