[CentralOH] 2015-09-04 道場 Scribbles 落書/惡文? dunder; magic methods; Strunk & White; matriculate Visual Basic masticates critical thinkers; Salaries; open source projects; that old house; price; passwords; nodejs; oximeter; sphygmomanometer; wx; fugue; rants; baloney; GEB

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Mon Sep 14 00:41:59 CEST 2015

how to pronounce "__foo__":
    say three times:
        underscore underscore foo underscore underscore
    say three times:
        dunder foo

    Dunder
    http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/200605/dunder.html

A Guide to Python's Magic Methods
http://www.rafekettler.com/magicmethods.html

wp:Strunk & White

wp:Matrícula Consular
Someone matriculated at a local institution wanting to get a software degree
He mentioned that many of the courses use
Microsoft products such as but not limited to:
    Visual Basic
    C#
    .NET

Compare salaries of developers working on Windows versus Linux versus Unix.
Windows, Unix, and Linux Salary Survey
http://aplawrence.com/Opinion/joemckearnings.html
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Skill=Linux/Salary

visual basic
http://bytes.com/topic/python/answers/24392-python-versus-vb
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Skill=Visual_Basic_(VB)/Salary
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Skill=Python/Salary

Participate in open source projects to get experience.

9 ways to attract students to your open source project
http://opensource.com/education/15/9/what-attracts-students-to-your-project

Eight folks tonight

The Open Organization book club: Passion and purpose change the way we work
http://opensource.com/open-organization/15/9/open-organization-book-club-chapter-2

Old house moved. Python probably not involved.
https://www.incollect.com/articles/crystal-bridges-will-unveil-frank-lloyd-wright-s-bachman-wilson-house-in-november

Linux and Python education for students in Israel
http://opensource.com/education/15/9/open-source-education-israel

The Price of Open-source Software – a Joint Response
http://insidehpc.com/2015/08/the-price-of-open-source-software-a-joint-response/

Sick of memorizing passwords?
A Turing Award winner came up with this algorithmic trick
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2978316/security/tired-of-memorizing-passwords-a-turing-award-winner-came-up-with-this-algorithmic-trick.html
http://lists.colug.net/pipermail/colug-432/2015-September/004059.html
(ugly long lines)

node.js + io.js -> nodejs 4.0.0
Semantic Versioning 2.0.0
http://semver.org/

Scratching a serious itch:
Creating a python module for the Contec CMS50D+ pulse oximeter (Part I)
http://www.atbrask.dk/?p=244

https://github.com/atbrask/CMS50Dplus

    That person should go to Friday and Saturday lunches at
    Yin-Yue Restaurant 1236 E Hudson Ave
    (0.9 mile east of I-71)
    HUDSON AVE BRIDGE OVER I-71 IS OUT. IT DOES NOT EXIST)

There was also a sphygomomanometer with USB interface.
wp:Sphygmomanometer

How to check weather forecasts from the command line on Linux
http://ask.xmodulo.com/weather-forecasts-command-line-linux.html

Free course: "JavaScript: The Good Parts"
http://www.itworld.com/article/2952580/development/free-course-javascript-the-good-parts.html

wp:Oscar Peterson
wp:Fugue
wp:Johann Sebastian Bach