[CentralOH] QML / Qt versus (Angularjs, Electron, ....)

James Bonanno james at atlantixeng.com
Sun Aug 7 16:51:55 EDT 2016

Over the years development of GUI's with Pyside has been my approach,
but over the last several months have been developing with QML. This is
because I've found QML to be very powerful. Additionally, PyQt5 supports
QML nicely.

I've investigated angularjs, emberjs, backbone, and on and on. I find
angularjs to be rather clever, but to me the whole thing breaks on a
fundamental paradigm of how to cleanly design the UI from a programmer's
perspective.

In contrast, having the qtdesigner in the past enabled a programmer to
design very nice look GUI's. Today, QtQuick allows that now with QML,
and even writing the complete description from scratch in QML is pretty
straightforward.

The one thing I like about QML is the ability to add javascript to
presentation layer controls; in the past, I've written Python classes
with decorators to handle all the presentation layer. Effectively, I can
allocate this layer to javascript within the QML. Additionally, these
days, you can write your backend for a QML app in either Python or
Golang if you so choose, and that is a nice touch, in addition to C++.

James