[CentralOH] 2016-07-15 道場 Scribbles 落書/惡文? atlassian diff regex tiobe 5*7*17 try/except/break/goto kivy pylint pyflakes jedi Magnolia Thunderpussy Pokémon Go hackerrank smell wipy iot natron indentation LBM

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Sat Jul 16 17:29:59 EDT 2016

2016-07-20 Atlassian User Group
http://www.meetup.com/techlifecolumbus/events/232611358/

6 Excellent Linux Diff Tools
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20160709114700823/DiffTools.html

Every country needs to follow Bulgaria’s lead in choosing open source software for governance
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/07/05/every-government-needs-follow-bulgarias-lead-choosing-open-source-software/

https://github.com/osnr/horrifying-pdf-experiments

regex links:

    https://docs.python.org/3/library/re.html
    http://regex.info/book.html
        http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596528126.do
    http://learnpython.org/en/Regular_Expressions
    http://www.regular-expressions.info/python.html
    https://www.debuggex.com/cheatsheet/regex/python

http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index?page=index
    Java
    C++
    Python
    C#

Zika who?
UN fight for internet control lined up in Brazil
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/13/un_fight_for_internet_control_lined_up_in_brazil/

Studio 595 shared workspace http://studio-595.com/
http://columbusregion.com/Start-Locate-Expand/Entrepreneur-Resources.aspx

5 hacks for landing your tech dream job
https://opensource.com/business/16/7/5-hacks-for-landing-your-tech-dream-job

Travis' way of breaking out of nested loops
got me thinking about this bit of craziness:

    Is try/except the closest thing Python has to a goto statement?

        class CustomException(Exception): pass

        try:
            if whatever:
                raise CustomException
        except CustomException:

    It later reminded me that one of the few good uses of goto statements in C
    is to jump down to cleanup code after something bad happened.
    I.e., for error recovery, which is what try/except excels at.

    Try blocks should be as small as possible to avoid catching exceptions
    caused by other than what should really be concerned about.
    This is consistent with PEP8.

    Are custom exceptions a good technique for allowing large try blocks
    since the custom exceptions can not be caused accidentally by some other thing
    than a deliberate raise?

Free Tools for Driving an Open Source Project to Success
https://www.linux.com/news/free-tools-driving-open-source-project-success

wp:Kivy
wp:Qt (software)
wp:tkinter
wp:wxWidgets
versus HTML5 w/websocket web app

pylint
    checks for pep8 compliance
        default configuration is lousy
pyflakes
    analyzes code and detects errors
    standalone or emacs or vim plugins
        Brandon Rhodes demonstrated this along with Jedi
        https://pypi.python.org/pypi/jedi

brought the following books of his

    Python in Practive
    Mark Summerfield

    Effective Python
    59 Specific Ways to Write Better Python
    Brett Slatkin

    Regular Expression Pocket Reference
    Tony Stublebine

    Regular Expressions Cookbook
    Jan Goyvaerts & Steven Levithan

posited:

    One learns languages better when learning multiple languages
    at the same time, instead of learning one language at a time.

I can do anything I want, but I can not do _everything_ that I want.
    http://lifehacker.com/5936303/you-can-do-anything-but-not-everything
    http://www.fastcompany.com/40384/you-can-do-anything-not-everything

Another decided to finished learning Python
before learning Ruby, Haskell, and Erlang.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/hypothesis
Hypothesis is an advanced testing library for Python

circleci.com
Voltron
Thundercats
wp:Magnolia Thunderpussy
    https://www.facebook.com/magnoliathunder?_fb_noscript=1
wp:Pokémon Go
    wp:Google Glass
    wp:Walking Dead

    ‘Pokemon Go’ players fall off 90-foot ocean bluff
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jul/13/pokemon-go-encinitas-cliff-fall/
    Missouri police say 4 teens used 'Pokemon Go' to rob people
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/11/missouri-police-say-4-teens-used-pokemon-go-to-rob-people.html

    Former Marine Was Trying To "Catch" Pokémon Sea Creature When He Drove Car Into Tree
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/car-crash/important-pokemon-go-crash-update-759302

    UM police searching for suspect who robbed Pokemon Go players
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-umd-robberies-20160712-story.html

    http://dilbert.com/strip/2016-07-16
    http://dilbert.com/strip/2016-07-15
    http://dilbert.com/strip/2016-07-14

wp:HackerRank

GNOME Maps Hits A Dead End, Can No Longer Display Maps
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/07/gnome-maps-dead-end-mapquest

In programming, one gets a feel for bad things. Think "code smell".
One can also develop a sense of situations that promote bad software.

Apply that in other realms.

    Your instincts can save your life; listen to them!
    http://northeastparealestatesales.com/personal-safety-trust-your-instincts/

    Nice: L.A. Dentist Saved by Israeli Girlfriend’s ‘Sixth Sense’
    http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/07/15/nice-california-witness/

WiPy - IOT Development Platform
https://www.adafruit.com/products/3184

wp:Natron
wp:Sintering
wp:Egyptian faience
http://www.logandaily.com/news/nelsonville-s-history-brick-by-brick/article_6504677b-1f1c-5fc7-80e9-edec9233cc61.html

wp:Fourth-generation warfare
wp:William S. Lind

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

    Looks good, but ain't.

    dojo at 4519_n_high:~$ cat indentation.py
    #!/usr/bin/env python3

    import sys

    def main(args):
        for i, arg in enumerate(args):
            print('Argument #%s is %r' % (i, arg))

    if __name__ == '__main__':
        main(sys.argv)
    dojo at 4519_n_high:~$ ./indentation.py hello world 'trojan rabbit'
      File "./indentation.py", line 7
        print('Argument #%s is %r' % (i, arg))
                                             ^
    TabError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
    dojo at 4519_n_high:~$

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

    dojo at 4519_n_high:~$ cat foo.py
    #!/usr/bin/env python3

    a = (
        'hello'  # This comment is ignored.
        ' ' 'world')

    print(a)
    dojo at 4519_n_high:~$ ./foo.py
    hello world
    dojo at 4519_n_high:~$

wp:Elvis
wp:Graceland
wp:Paul Simon
http://www.sciotomile.com/event-listing/rhythm-on-the-river-7-15-2016/

The church across the street was holding its festival.