[CentralOH] teaching new coders ...

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed May 25 13:56:45 EDT 2016

discussed at lunch today

http://www.wsj.com/articles/if-your-teacher-sounds-like-a-robot-you-might-be-on-to-something-1462546621

On Tue, 17 May 2016, ... wrote:

> What tasks does a teaching ass't do that students couldn't
> figure out a robot was doing them?

in the particular case of a coding / programming course, the
'get support' was probably structured in a fashion of:
	upload your 'misbehaving' code, and any error messages

and then the software mailing back either a more specific
explanation of any error message; a review for obvious
'thinko's' (such tools exist); or a 'tell me more' reply

Eventually under the Socratic method, the student has to think
and engage their intellect to actually READ what the message
is saying, rather than 'projecting' what they though it was
saying at a casual glance

see eg:
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

I have trained junior coders over the years over and over
again, and the 'default' response I have to any question in
the first instance is usually:
	what does the documentation say?

because until the student is reading the documentation, they
are not yet using research skills and learning, but rather
just seeking a tactical 'quick fix' which tries to gloss over
a lack of understanding
	https://wiki.centos.org/SpoonFeed

esp para 3 and four, and later

-- Russ herrold