[CentralOH] First Programming Language

Len Jaffe lenjaffe at jaffesystems.com
Thu May 26 11:43:18 EDT 2016

There's something to be said for Pascal as a teaching language. It has data
types, strict typing, pointers and all of the major procedural looping
constructs.
Once all of those elements are learned, one can change to a dynamic
language, or an OO language, or a functional language.

I'm a fan of constraining the learner at first, especially since there's a
lot more learning involved with the "first language" beyond syntax and
grammar.
If you can't work out a sorting algorithm on graph paper, learning a
dynamic/oo/functional programming language won't help, and might hinder.

But really, two or three weeks in Pascal's handcuffs should be sufficient
to learn the first principle of "computer programming"

Len Jaffe - Information Technology Smoke Jumper - lenjaffe at jaffesystems.com
614-404-4214    @LenJaffe <https://www.twitter.com/lenJaffe>
www.lenjaffe.com
Host of Code Jam Columbus <http://www.meetup.com/techlifecolumbus/>  -