[CentralOH] 2016-09-23 道場 Scribbles 落書/惡文? tuple unpacking, min <= x <= max; plain text notes grep and friends wargames imsai; pizza crawl; free ebook; cardinalize thify; prion; gh-pages subprojects --orphan; madame x; async curses nodelay cbreak NONBLOCK pi-hole pf pfsense XO MB169B+ schneier checkio wikipedia library;snapper

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Sat Sep 24 17:22:59 EDT 2016

9 folks tonight

2 of these wp:OLPC XO
Python is their main language

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 21:15:00 -0400, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote[1]:

>     meh:
>         should have used tuple unpacking in:
>             [
>             x[0]
>             for x in c.itermonthdays2(year, month)
>             if x[0] and x[1] == weekday]
>         to have been something like:
>             [
>             day_of_month
>             for day_of_month, day_of_week in c.itermonthdays2(year, month)
>             if day_of_month and day_of_week == weekday]

done

>         if earliest_date <= date < too_late_date:
>             too_late_date is awkward name
>             need to rework this
>             close to being good, but not there yet

done: converted to min_date <= date <= max_date

>         12 in for month in range(1, 12 + 1):
>             should name that magic number
>                 MONTHS_PER_YEAR = 12
>         internationalization

done

See http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/james-prior/challenge-201603-temps/blob/after-meeting/answer4-james-prior.ipynb

The WarGames IMSAI is for sale... The Most Expensive "Personal Computer"?
http://www.imsai.net/movies/wargames.htm

wp:Poisson distribution
http://xkcd.com/12/

Monty Python -- Enough
http://xkcd.com/16/

x**2 + y**2: where have I seen that before:
    circles
    https://github.com/cohpy/challenge-201608-refactor
    http://xkcd.com/17/

Stannous Bourbowsky
    wp:tin whiskers
    wp:tin pest
    http://xkcd.com/18/

wp:Secretary problem

wp:Gödel, Escher, Bach
http://xkcd.com/24/

Rushed Production Blamed for Samsung Phone Debacle
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2016/09/06/2016090601110.html
Samsung Forced to Hang Battery Unit out to Dry
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2016/09/19/2016091901575.html

(southwest corner of Third Ave and Northwest Blvd)

free Python ebook from O'Reilly
20 Python Libraries You Aren’t Using (But Should)
http://oreilly.com/programming/free/files/20-python-libraries-you-arent-using-but-should.pdf

    See p59 for ordinalize, cardinalize, singularize, and pluralize.
    Compare to thify of
    https://github.com/cohpy/challenge-201603-temps/blob/master/answer1/cohpy_dates_challenge.py

wp:prion
    wp:Scrapie
    wp:Bovine spongiform encephalopathy
    wp:Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease
    wp:Multiple system atrophy
    wp:Prius

Can you imagine the following drama with Python?

    NetBeans Going to Apache: Is Java Next?
    http://devproconnections.com/development/netbeans-going-apache-java-next

wp:The Mechanic (1972 film)
wp:The Mechanic (2011 film)

wp:itu aba

iatrogenic
nosocomial

HP Retrofits Ink Cartridge DRM on Printers
http://fossforce.com/2016/09/hp-retrofits-ink-cartridge-drm-printers/

How do you get programmers to join your project?
https://opensource.com/business/16/9/how-to-get-programmers

Python’s universal first-class object model and absence of type declarations
make for an amazingly flexible programming language.

...Lenovo is just lazy when it comes to supporting the Linux desktop on its newest Yoga Ultra
http://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-really-going-on-with-microsoft-lenovo-and-linux/

github project web pages

    gh-pages branch with index.html

    https://help.github.com/articles/creating-project-pages-from-the-command-line/
    https://pages.github.com/

need to study

    git subprojects
    git checkout --orphan gh-pages

madame x
    short movie of her
    her father and westerville

async curses
    no delay
    cbreak

wp:Lake Erie
    569 feet (173 m)
wp:Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial
    352 feet (107 m)
top of Perry's
    921 feet
wp:Empire State Building
    1250 feet (381 m)
    1454 feet (443 m)

raspberry pi
https://pi-hole.net/
opendns
pfsense
    our library has
        Book of PF A No-Nonsense Guide to the OpenBSD Firewall
        by Peter N. M. Hansteen

XO
     has newer version of sugar 0.10[46].*
dolphin

asus MB169B+
15.6 inch 1920x1080
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MB169BPlus/

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

wp:Bruce Schneier

checkio library
https://checkio.org/
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/checkio_cli/
http://omz-software.com/pythonista/

import wikipedia
https://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=search&term=wikipedia&submit=search
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wikipedia
wikipedia library

Do you save notes in plain text files?

    Yup, plays nice with grep and friends. E.g.,

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:15:13 -0400 (EDT), R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote[2]:

    > [herrold at centos-7 pw]$ grep glasses * 2> /dev/null | grep type
    > arlington_optical:type: glasses (a local vendor of
    >   sporting 'high impact' eyewear)
    > edgeeyewear:type:       glasses
    > goggles4u:type: glasses
    > northwest_optical:type:   glasses

wp:Muggletonianism
Was J. K. Rowling making some comment?

land-boards.com
wp:Edwin Land
wp:Color constancy

How to Easily Roll Back Changes with Snapper
https://www.linux.com/learn/how-easily-roll-back-changes-snapper

Debian-based WiFi router adds security and parental controls
http://hackerboards.com/debian-based-wifi-router-adds-security-and-parental-controls/

[1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/centraloh/2016-June/002872.html
[2] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/centraloh/2016-July/002900.html