[CentralOH] micropython

Thomas Winningham winningham at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 20:56:19 EST 2017

So I messed with MicroPython a ton on a NodeMCU board (also an ESP8266) ...
It was an absolute blast. Unfortunately, after much head scratching I think
I ultimately had memory fragmentation errors from trying simply to do too
much dynamically in Python... or at least I *think* that was the issue. It
would simply reset after 10 minutes of working? I since then rewrote
everything I was doing (two servos and two steppers) in Arduino code using
PlatformIO to manage the project, and everything works a lot better. I'm
still using a lot of Python to interact with the thing though.

I do think that the MicroPython project is insanely cool, and the code runs
so quickly. Even the Unix port is fun to play with for sure. I think they
list their ESP8266 support as experimental at the moment, so I just wanted
to chime in with a heads up if you find yourself beating your head against
the wall, it may not be your fault.