[CentralOH] 2017-01-13 道場 Scribbles 落書/惡文? chemist language; syntactic sugar; cloud; gitlab; snippets; right-legend; f-strings; closure; function decorator; deep learning; skyfield; fibonacci; synchrony; GOTO

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Sat Jan 14 15:38:44 EST 2017

What programming language should a chemist learn first?
How prosperous can a chemist be without learning how to program?

virtualenv env3 -p `which python3`
works on Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

nextcloud forked from owncloud
wp:Telegram (software)

wp:gitlab

wp: prefix means Wikipedia
To get good answers, consider following the advice in the links below.
http://web.archive.org/web/20090627155454/www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html

What is URL for Jupyter extension snippets?
https://github.com/captainsafia/notebook-snippet-manager???
    allows one to mess with Jupyter menu

    copy and paste between different notebooks?
        if so, great! This has long been needed.

http://maxberggren.se/2016/11/21/right-labels/
https://github.com/maxberggren/legend-right
    was python 2 only, and there were problems for traces that were not
    complete
    ported to Python 3
    and put legends to right of ends of traces,
    wherever they are
https://github.com/pybokeh/jupyter_notebooks/blob/master/matplotlib/Aligning_Legend_Labels_To_Lines.ipynb
http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/pybokeh/jupyter_notebooks/blob/master/matplotlib/Aligning_Legend_Labels_To_Lines.ipynb

syntactic sugar

    syntactic sugar is not _necessary_

    "syntactic sugar" can be a pejorative dismissive term

    readability is the benefit of syntactic sugar

        Readability counts.

    Python has much syntactic sugar.

        I have come to realize Python's syntactic sugar allows one to write
        code that is more readable. So that unnecessary syntactic sugar is a
        good thing. Python's syntactic sugar is part of what makes Python a
        higher level language than many other languages.

How would one refactor the Javaesque code in
"Beyond PEP 8 -- Best practices for beautiful intelligible code",
for Go, Ruby, C++, or C#?
http://pyvideo.org/pycon-us-2015/beyond-pep-8-best-practices-for-beautiful-inte.html

ken m v miss sweetie poo

f-strings

    I like f-strings

    Someone else
    really really really likes f-strings

    https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0498/

    something that I am wrapping my head around is that f-strings are
    dynamic expressions even though they _look_ like static strings.

closure
function decorator
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/url/colug.net/python/cohpy/20150223/cohpy-20150223-memoization.ipynb
http://www.python-course.eu/python3_memoization.php
memoize is cute for learning closures and function decorator,
but mediocre for production.
For production, I recommend functools.lru_cache over memoize.

wp:Deep learning
    automates aspects of machine learning,
    but at cost of using more computer

    For serious stuff,
    need experts to narrow focus of classic machine learning

>From the "All your base are belong to us" department:
consider getting additional email account to back up all github notifications

    but not all notifications are emailed

gitlab? used by:
    IBM
    Redhat
    stackexchange
    O'Reilly
    NASA
    CERN
    Bayer
    nasdaq
    vmware
    intel
    macy's
    uber
    lockheed martin

You have one second extra tonight!
http://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/lifestyle/229304/you-have-one-second-extra-tonight.html
https://docs.python.org/3/library/datetime.html

Getting started with Machine learning on Linux with Python 3 and Scikit-learn
https://techarena51.com/index.php/getting-started-machine-learning-linux-python-3-scikit-learn/?utm_source=lxer

Skyfield and 15 Years of Bad APIs
http://pyvideo.org/pycon-ca-2013/skyfield-and-15-years-of-bad-apis.html

https://github.com/skyfielders/python-skyfield
https://github.com/skyfielders/astronomy-notebooks
    need to update INSTALL-xubuntu-12.10

Easycoder
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeywell_200#Software

Scratch Programming Playground
https://www.nostarch.com/scratchplayground

Introduction to Machine Learning with Python
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030515.do

Did the mechanic really discern the problem,
or did he just tinker until the symptoms vanished?

fibs:

    http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/james-prior/euler/blob/master/euler-002-even-fibonacci-numbers-20130729.ipynb
    http://nbviewer.ipython.org/url/colug.net/python/cohpy/20150223/cohpy-20150223-memoization.ipynb

    The Great Math Mystery (PBS Nova)
        fibonacci numbers and botany

    read knuth

curious coordination

    shepherd moons
    pendulum clocks on a wall

Latest Cinnamon Release Lands in Antergos, but Read This Before Updating Python
http://news.softpedia.com/news/antergos-users-urged-not-to-update-python-until-latest-cinnamon-release-lands-511634.shtml

What engineers and marketers can learn from each other
https://opensource.com/open-organization/17/1/engineers-marketers-can-learn

GOTO considered awesome
http://www.rasterman.com/post/goto-is-awesome-2-to-3x-faster
https://www.xkcd.com/292/

Duff's device
interleaving the switch cases and do/while loop is stunning.

    send(to, from, count)
    register short *to, *from;
    register count;
    {
        register n = (count + 7) / 8;
        switch (count % 8) {
        case 0: do { *to = *from++;
        case 7:      *to = *from++;
        case 6:      *to = *from++;
        case 5:      *to = *from++;
        case 4:      *to = *from++;
        case 3:      *to = *from++;
        case 2:      *to = *from++;
        case 1:      *to = *from++;
                } while (--n > 0);
        }
    }

wp:The Two Cultures
back to GEB

Gradual Collapse of Microsoft’s Extensive (and External) Patent Trolling Operations
http://techrights.org/2017/01/11/psyhogeos-and-detkin/

Explore climate data with open source tools
https://opensource.com/article/17/1/apache-open-climate-workbench