[CentralOH] [Dojo] Linkage for quants, AI, and GUI enthusiasts

Damien Calloway damiencalloway at fastmail.com
Mon Aug 13 11:41:17 EDT 2018

Hello all,

This past Thursday, a new person by the name of Corey came, looking for
help with TensorFlow, and with an interest in AI in general. I stumbled
across a very useful link to PacktPub :
https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning[1]

They have many books on various niche topics in computing, and they have
a selection of Python and AI books available for download, in addition
to their deal-of-the-day
This also reminded me of some other links I have been meaning to share
for a while - every few months, some quant or AI person shows up at the
dojo, and I found some cool stuff, but keep forgetting to share the
linkage. SO, without further adieu :
How to Machine Learning, the Self-Starter Way -
https://elitedatascience.com/learn-machine-learning
>From the same site, the Python/Sci-Kit Learn "Wine Snob Edition" of the
tutorial :
https://elitedatascience.com/python-machine-learning-tutorial-scikit-learn
UC Irvine Machine Learning Repository -
http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/index.php
10 Minutes to Pandas - from the official docs -
https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/10min.html
Here is an overview of Furby hacking. For all the right reasons -
https://gizmodo.com/hackers-found-a-way-to-make-furbies-even-creepier-1756683110
The author of the book "Python for Finance" has a small consultancy, and
a website with additional info : http://pythonquants.com/
PonyORM - Python oriented database modeling and programming tool -
https://ponyorm.com/
Murach Books - apparently, *the* source to learn Mainframe Programming.
They have Java, HTTP/CSS/JS, and Python books, too.
Al Sweigart's page - he is a cool dude, I met him at the PyOhio sprints
- http://inventwithpython.com/
Green Tea Press - they publish the "Think Python" book through O'Reilly,
but you can read it online for free -
https://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
==================

Also, I have been helping out Brad with a project of his - it involves a
GUI. We started with Toga but have had to drop down to *gasp* Tkinter
Although this has not been updated since 2005, it oddly remains one of
the most complete ways to learn the Pythonic way of Tkinter -
http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/
Almost everything else presumes that you want to learn Tk, or are
already familiar with Tk.
The only other thing that appears useful, is a self-published book
Modern Tkinter for Busy Python Developers - Scribd link :
https://www.scribd.com/doc/166335433/Mark-Roseman-Modern-Tkinter-for-Busy-Python-Developers-2012
Also on Amazon :
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Tkinter-Python-Developers-ebook/dp/B0071QDNLO/
Anyway, for all the time I kept saying I was going to send an email -
well, this is that email.
- Damien

Links:

  1. https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning?login=1