[CentralOH] August Monthly meeting topic

Shelby snelzing at fastmail.com
Tue Aug 16 09:55:21 EDT 2022

Hello fellow pythonistas! This month's CohPy meeting will be the 29th and will be by Brian Costlow. Here are the details on the talk:

*Writing K8s Admission WebHooks in Python.
*
Kubernetes, at its heart, is a platform for managing and orchestrating containerized workloads and services.

A key concept in Kubernetes is that you configure some desired state on a Kubernetes cluster via the Kube API (usually not directly, but via kubectl, Helm, or various CD tools) and one or more Controllers try to make the desired state the actual state.

Admission Controllers are special controllers that can act on desired state changes and potentially modify or reject them before they are persisted and other controllers act on them.

There are two built-in Admission Controllers that are designed to be easily extended: MutatingAdmissionWebhook and ValidatingAdmissionWebhook. Neither of these have their own internal logic to handle the Admission, they call a webhook application that you create to make those decisions.

Because K8s is written in Go, the community is Go-focused and most Admission webhooks are written in Go. But a webhook is just a type of web application, and you can write your webhooks in any language that you can use to write a web app.

In this talk, we'll learn how to write Mutating and Validating webhooks in Python, we'll learn how to configure and deploy the webhooks, and then we'll run some test deployments against them and watch them in action.

Last, time permitting, we'll discuss some pros and cons of using Python instead of Go for this kind of work.