[CentralOH] Brainstorming session from January Meeting

John Cassidy jocassid at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 20:06:18 EST 2024

Here's the list of topics that we have interest in.  We can do any mix of
short and long talks which total about 40-60 minute:

   - numpy
   - machine learning (sci-kit learn , d-learn, stat models )
   - PYPI packaging (hatch, flip, pyproject.toml)
   - PySpark & large data sets
   - Django/Flask
   - ChatGPT & Python (mistral AI)
   - SQLAlchemy
   - Voice recognition (CMU Sphinx?).
   - Natural language processing (distributional & distributed semantics)
   - Foreign Policy (twitter & the war in Ukraine)
   - PyGame
   -  Tkinter, wx GUI program
   - web.py (webserver)
   - HTML5, CSS
   - TUI (Text user interface): textual, rich, textualize
   - Python & automation (robotic process automation)
   - Airflow (system orchestration) Apache Beam, Apache Kafka
   - Ansible, salt stack
   - Other notebook programs: vscode, datagrip (JetBrains), azure data
   studio, Google colab,
   - The code command in vscode
   - PyTM
   - Debugging in Jupyter Notebook
   -  Internet of things.
   - RaspberryPI
   - Smart home automation

We're currently considering a different location for our informal Thursday
night meetings (the dojos).  Here's what we're looking for in a new
location:

    • Wifi
    • Power
    • Parking
    • Food & Drink
    • Quiet
    • On bus line
    • Table space
    • Safety
    • Avoid Polaris? (traffic and safety concerns were raised)

Some of the specific locations suggested were:

   - Olentangy River Brewing Company - 303 Green Meadows Dr S, Lewis
   Center, OH 43035
   - Hofbrauhaus in Grandview,
   - Rusty Bucket in Clintonville
   - Cap City Diner on Olentangy
   - The Beer Barrel (at Easton)
   - The Eason BW3
   - The Columbus Brewing Company (East Market location.  What about the
   other 2 locations).

Nerd Comedy!  Don McMillian (https://www.youtube.com/@donmcmillancomedy)
has a show at the Easton Funnybone this Tuesday (
https://columbus.funnybone.com/event/don-mcmillian/columbus-funny-bone-comedy-club/).
So far we have 2 people going.  If you're interested, buy a ticket and let
me know (jocassid at gmail.com) so we can get a table for everyone.