[Chennaipy] Python Projects

ram ganesh k.ramganesh at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 13 16:34:23 CET 2014

+1
________________________________
From: Vijay Kumar<mailto:vijaykumar at zilogic.com>
Sent: ‎13-‎12-‎2014 06:27
To: Chennaipy at python.org<mailto:Chennaipy at python.org>
Subject: [Chennaipy] Python Projects

Hi Everyone,
One way to learn Python is to read through a book on Python. But most
books do not cover things like

   * Coding style
   * Best Practices
   * Application of Design Patterns
   * Writing Docstrings
   * Organizing code for unit testing
   * Setting up a CI
   * Buidling Documentation
   * Packaging
   * Changelogs
   * Version Numbering
   * Supporting multiple Python versions

These are things people acquire, in the course of working on a
project, developing code and by reading code written by other people.

But not many open source projects are suitable for newbies.

I propose to start a project, on GitHub, that will be based on a
program in the book "Invent with Python". Since the book is for
beginners, the code is not very elegant. We will improve to make it
look more professional, add unit test cases, document it, package it,
release it, etc. Newbies can easily start with it, because the
initial code is completely explained in the book!

Project mentor(s) will be creating issues on the project, for each
task to be done, whoever is interested can submit a pull request
against the issue. The project mentor(s) will review the pull request
and provide suggestions for improvement. To start, I can play that
role, hope other mentors to join in :-)

In my opinion such a project will be useful both beginners and
intermediate users. Even advanced users can learn a thing or two from
it.

What do you guys think? Will it be helpful to you? If you think this
will be useful to you, please reply with a +1. If there are atleast
three +1s, I will create the project on GitHub.

Regards,
Vijay