[Chennaipy] Diversity in Chennaipy

James Mortensen james.mortensen at synclio.com
Tue Jun 9 09:32:20 CEST 2015

I think the Code of Conduct is a tool the community can use to deal with a
situation, should something happen to make the environment feel unsafe.
Also, some of these things aren't common sense or things everyone will
agree on.  Every community has rules, and having them written down lets
everyone know what is expected so there are no surprises later on.

With one in place, that should then set the tone to then encourage more
participation, and it sounds like the decision by Vijay and Shrayas is that
there will be a code of conduct.  So that being the case, perhaps we can:

1.  Evaluate the Code of Conduct and make sure it offers tools to solve any
problems we see.

2.  Focus on ways to encourage more participation from women, as Bindu
suggests.  I am doing this by personally inviting my female colleagues (and
male colleagues as well) to participate in Chennaipy.  In some cases, I
have mentioned the low numbers of women at the events and that they can
help lead the way by showing up.  I am not sure if this is a good strategy
because I don't want my female colleagues to think I am inviting them only
because of their gender and not because of their technical aptitude.  I
would love to hear thoughts of women in the group on how I (and other
members of the community) might approach this better.

Hope this helps,

James

Phone: * 866-707-4590*

>>> Shrayas