[Chennaipy] Pitch for a Talk and Hosting a Meetup at Indix (www.indix.com)

Shrikant Giridhar shrikantgiridhar at gmail.com
Sat May 9 20:28:41 CEST 2015

On Sat, May 09, 2015 at 11:21:12PM +0530, Nikhil Ketkar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is a pitch for a talk, let me know if there is interest.

It's always great to have speakers coming forward for talks!

> The data science stack for Python is very mature, libraries like Numpy,
> SciPy and scikit-learn allow data scientists to build predictive models.
<snip>
> I worry if this is too specific to a data science/big data audience
> rather than a  general Python audience.

One of the great things about a user group audience is that there is no
specific 'crowd'. At Chennaipy alone, we have a mix of people using Python
for NLP, Big Data processing, embedded systems, configuration management
and a lot more. The sheer diversity of the user group is amazing!

As a speaker, this provides a great platform to present, simply because
you don't have to optimize your talk for a particular niche audience -
you just walk up there and talk about what you like! There is a good
chance that you will always find someone who shares your interests.

So do register for a talk at the next meetup! I look forward to learning
some data science! :-)

> Also, I noticed (on meetup) that the group is looking for a venue for the
> next session. The startup I work for (Indix, http://www.indix.com) would
> love to host a meetup. We are a small startup but our office at Ramanujan
> IT Park can host up to 50 people on a weekend quite easily. Let me know and
> I can get the ball rolling on this.

That's so cool of you to offer!

I understand we have a venue for our meetups now but we do need space for
workshops from time to time. In any case, Vijay and Shrayas are the right
guys for this so I'm going to leave it for them to answer!

Shrikant Giridhar