[Chennaipy] Diversity in Chennaipy

James Mortensen james.mortensen at synclio.com
Wed May 13 10:26:01 CEST 2015

Shrayas,

I'm really glad you've brought up this issue.  It disappoints me to see
such low numbers of women at these events.  Sadly, this isn't just a "tech"
problem.  I've gone to non-tech meetups where we also see a huge gap
between men and women.

I have a theory that encouragement can go a long way.  If you're a student,
invite the women in your classes to attend Chennaipy.  If you work, invite
women in your office.  If you have a sister or daughter, encourage her to
go out into the world and make it her own.  Don't try to "protect" her with
different rules or ideologies.  It's not protecting, it's restricting.

With that said, I don't think a separate group would help; it would just
make this problem worse.  This just perpetuates the idea that women need to
be "protected".  For this to work, we need to create an environment of
respect for everyone, tolerance, and the idea of personal responsibility
for all of our actions.

James

Phone: * 866-707-4590*