[Chennaipy] Diversity in Chennaipy

Abhishek bigbeliever at gmail.com
Tue May 19 03:55:18 CEST 2015

Hey Shreyas,
Good you brought this up.

I have been active in the Ruby community here, and we too have a diversity
problem. Overtime I have blamed several factors - patriarchy in our
culture, apathy for technology in IT industry, and the latest - tech
culture of geek glorification. After repeated discussions, my wife and I
have arrived at a few conclusions.

The benefits of participating in such a technical community are not
obvious. Not to a normal, moderately passionate technologist. It is seen as
more suited for the so called *enthusiast*. Younger men have more chance to
experiment and find out, women not so much. They (and even men over a
certain age) have more compulsions and lesser margin to explore and figure
out. People agree that this is a noble endeavour, but to prioritise it
above other compulsions we  have to measure the personal benefits. And
since the whole phenomenon is new, we have no examples from past tradition.

So the enthusiasts have the additional onus of advertising the community.
To educate everyone about what's in it for them. It also helps to have a
clear policy against sexism, harassment and bad-behaviour (We learned this
the hard way).

Regards,
Abhishek