[Chennaipy] ChennaiPy Sprints - Creating something awesome as a community.

Shrayas rajagopal shrayasr at gmail.com
Sun May 31 12:05:14 CEST 2015

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Krishna Sangeeth KS
<kskrishnasangeeth at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> What about trying a variant of this idea of sprints. Instead of say maybe
> hacking on opensource projects , we can thinking
> of the community as a whole coming together and creating an awesome Python
> tutorial

+1. I really like this idea. In the workshop that we did in Feb, it
was majorly content that we prepared and took from the Google Python
Class. It would be great if the community as such would participate in
building the material itself. It will help the newcomers within
Chennaipy and outside also.

> which could be a collection of Ipython
> notebooks.

Unsure about this. Like Vijay mentioned previously, I agree that it is
hard for a beginner to grasp the concept of "running python in a
browser" window as opposed to just doing it on the terminal itself
with the interpreter.

> Almost anyone can participate in such an activity

We could have sprints on the day of the meetup itself where we see if
we can meetup 1/2 hrs before (depending on the feasibility of the
venue, etc obviously) and work on pushing out such material.

[...]

> Community could create guidelines to ensure that the content of Notebook
> adheres to some quality check.

Enforcing PRs based content building would really take care of this by itself :)

[...]

> I would think the latter is a better
> option as it is also helps in the process of community building.

Agree with you. Co location helps a lot in community building.

[...]

---

The only roadblock I see is the initial push, as with any other
initiative. We need to have some solid ground set up before we can get
started. Even with the projects that Vijay puts up on Github, he does
quite a lot of work setting the initial set up so it is easy to
onboard people. This is something we need to think about.

Otherwise, Great initiative!