[Chennaipy] Inviting for "Will the real internet please stand up: on internet.org and Digital India" Discussion

Mugunthan Latchoumanane mugunthan.masti at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 07:36:17 CEST 2015

Dear Friends,

Free Software Foundation Tamil Nadu and Catalyst Study circle are happy to
welcome you to a discussion titled:

*Will the real internet please stand up: on internet.org
<http://internet.org> and Digital India*

A few weeks ago, we saw thousands of people on Facebook change their
profile pictures to resemble the Indian flag as part of the social media
giant's initiative to support Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Digital India
project.

This phase also saw a lot of criticism of Facebook, especially with
reference to its internet.org (now renamed as Free Basics), on the issue of
net neutrality and issues such as privacy and data storage. Only a few
months ago, internet.org had again been the subject of a controversy during
the debate on net neutrality in India.
In this discussion, we not only look at net neutrality and Facebook's
initiative but also, the larger context of the Digital India project and
the role companies such as Facebook have to play in the project

Speaker: Mr.Srinivasan Ramani,
              Deputy Editor,
              The Hindu,
              (he visited Facebook recently and interviewed Mark Zuckerberg)