[Chennaipy] [Discussion] About scope of programming languages in Chennai's IT industry

Karthikeyan A K 77minds at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 03:41:33 EDT 2017

People are talking about Java a lot, but being a web developer I see
tremendous scope for PHP and Ruby and Python. Infact still PHP rules the
web and almost every website is coded with it.

One sad fact is many people in colleges do not know about Ruby or Python
and their immense power. If that is known and if academic takes it up,
naturally the cost of such programmers will decrease and businesses will
adapt to it.

Java programmers cost far less to hire than say Ruby which earns the
highest because more things could be done with it.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 10:24 PM, Abhishek Yadav <zerothabhishek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Subil A <subil1407 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine in college from the ECE department told me he was
>> considering joining a Java course and asked me if there was scope for the
>> language. I didn't know how to answer that as I'm a clueless college
>> student myself. Java was once the best thing since sliced bread but is it
>> still the same?
>>
>> So, fellow pythonistas in the industry, my question is:
>> Which languages/technologies, in your opinion, has scope in Chennai's IT
>> industry today? And in what niches (like embedded, medical and so on)?
>>
>> I'm most interested in hearing the reasons for your choice. Eloquent
>> answers, angry rants, simple statements; all are welcome! Don't hold back!
>>
>> I know this is the Python mailing list but you don't have give Python
>> related answers (You can if you want to though. Nobody's forcing you :) )
>>
>> (Also, if someone can give me an answer for Java, that'd be great. I need
>> something to tell my friend).
>>
> Hi Subil,
>
> As others have noted, Java is as commercially lucrative now as it was
> before. But I would still recommend against doing a Java course. Here's why
> -
>
> - Hiring process at most companies doesn't value such courses. They might
> give credit to the acquired skill (Java programming, Android dev etc),
> which they test separately. But the certification itself holds little value.
>
> - Java is not a good first programming language. Your friend is from ECE -
> he should start with something simple and fun - like Python (or Ruby or Go
> or Javascript). I've seen several several good programmers who are good
> because they love their programming language. I've never seen anyone who
> *loves* Java (google Paul Graham's essays on this)
>
> As an additional benefit, Python/Ruby/Javascript have active and welcoming
> communities in Chennai. Show up at the meet-ups, see what people are doing,
> collaborate with them - ask for internships/jobs. Learn from others and
> share what you learn. People like Vijay and others here spend their
> personal time and energy to run such groups - just so everyone can benefit.
> Take the benefit.
>
> All the best,
> Abhishek

Karthikeyan A K