[Chennaipy] Feb 2017 Meeting Minutes

Vijay Kumar B. vijaykumar at zilogic.com
Tue Feb 28 07:03:31 EST 2017

I actually found a simi

On Saturday 25 February 2017 09:44 PM, abhirath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ### A Gentle Intro to Types by Shrayas Rajagopal
> Shrayas started by building on the basics to introduce more advanced
> concepts later on.
> - Why Types?
>     - Humans make a lot of errors
>     - Computers are very good at repeating things
>     - Types help them to bring it together. Helps reduce the number of
> mistakes
At this point during the talk, it struck me that there some similarity
between Shrayas' talk and mine.

> - Roadblocks to using YAML
>     - Human input prone to errors
>     - Proper validation is key
[clip]
> - Using jsonschema to validate YAML thus giving better error checking
> and friendlier prompts

But I was not able to make out the relation at that point. Later on,
when thought about it at length, I found that two talks were strikingly
similar! I was able to summarize the differences between the talks as below:

The talk on types was about validating data (using type hints) when it
entered a *function*. The talk on YAML validation was about validating
data (using schema) when it entered a *program*.

Regards,
Vijay