[Chicago] snakes and rubies and chipmunks

Jason R Huggins JRHuggins at thoughtworks.COM
Mon Dec 5 23:37:39 CET 2005

> So how did the Django/Rails showdown go?
Check this link:
http://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2005/dec/04/snakes_and_rubies/

...or....

Do a search for "snakes and rubies" at technorati.com for lots of blogged
impressions of the event... I was there, too, and I'll probably blog about
it at some point.
By the way, at the time of this email's date/time stamp... "snakes and
rubies" was #9 on the top 10 searched for items at technorati.com.

For a summary of the event: "A good time was had by all." My favorite
moment was when a guy in the audience raised his hand way late in the
night asking (and I'm paraphrasing) "What about Perl? You both keep
bashing PHP and Java, but why doesn't Perl even get a mention?"  :-) As
they say... "There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked
about, and that is not being talked about." On that note, I'm surprised no
one raised their hands to chime in about VB or C# not getting slammed
either.

Anyway, thank you and congrats to all the ChiPy folks involved in putting
the event together and to Adrian for giving a kick-ass presentation!

> Is a streamed record going to be available?
There were lots of "official" video cameras at the event. I believe either
the snakesandrubies.com site or djangoproject.com will have links to the
video and audio when they become available.

> Also is there/should there be a ChiPy meeting this week?
I don't know about the ChiPy meeting this week... but I think the
consensus is just getting together and drinking? I'll actually be burning
some karma and attending the Ruby meetup tonight, which is,
coincidentally, in my office here at ThoughtWorks...
(http://ruby.meetup.com/55/events/?eventId=4796341&action=detail) Don't
worry I haven't sold my soul. You know the phrase.... "Keep your friends
close, but your enemies closer".  :-)

- Jason

P.S. Chipmunks?