[Chicago] Django and Rails and PHP (oh my!)

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Wed Dec 21 00:06:52 CET 2005

On 12/20/05, Michael Tobis <mtobis at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a consequence Python MUST settle on a strong web framework that
> includes the best of the existing frameworks, and polish it for
> maximum accessibility as well as power.

I think that the 'problem' of too many frameworks is actually only a
problem because of the python mantra:

"There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it."

It's as if the python community is being hoisted on its own petard ...
or is being gutted by an out of control inversion-of-perl pattern.
Perhaps it's time to not take this matra so seriously? Perhaps I'm the
only way taking it seriously...

I think there are lots of web frameworks for python, as there are in
other languages, because of the age of the respective language and the
age of the web. I like having choices and a rich user community. I
don't like being cajolled by the blogosphere into using one particular
tool.

> Further, there MUST be a very good, accessible book on the subject,
> and soon.

Books are good. The Rails book is great--not just for learning about
Rails and Ruby but for learning about how to do agile web development.
I'd argue that the latter is more important to learn than the former.

Most importantly, the more web frameworks there are the more meeting
presentations we can have!

//Ed