[Chicago] Django and Rails and PHP (oh my!)

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Wed Dec 21 02:11:22 CET 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 4:11 PM, Michael Tobis wrote:

> Clearly the Ruby/Rails folks are making an effort to place themselves
> as an easy-to-learn first language for people who might otherwise
> drift into the rather awkward template-first way of thinking that is
> PHP.

What does making a website and learning to program have to do with
eachother? Where did learning to think like programmer even have
anything to do with building a website? If you think like a
programmer, I am sure you can build a website. Although, if your out
just to build a website, Ruby-on-Rails is perfect for you.

The web is made up of thousands of micro-programs and has made all
the ideas of programming more visible. Open source lives and breath
off internet technology, as well. The concepts needed to become a
quality programmer are often learned by the individual who takes the
time to do practice, research, listen to lectures, read eachother's
code, and read books--not with the sole goal to fill the internet
with useless clamor.  Once a student has accomplished learning to
program the right way, they then can go on and be collaborative,
write some open source, ask questions, build some programs, and if
they so desire, build websites.

-- Brian