[Chicago] Django and Rails and PHP (oh my!)

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Wed Dec 21 08:06:39 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 05:06:52PM -0600, Ed Summers wrote:
> I think that the 'problem' of too many frameworks is actually only a
> problem because of the python mantra:
>
> "There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it."
>
> It's as if the python community is being hoisted on its own petard ...
> or is being gutted by an out of control inversion-of-perl pattern.
> Perhaps it's time to not take this matra so seriously? Perhaps I'm the
> only way taking it seriously...

I agree, sort of.  It's only a problem when you try to extend the "one
obvious way" thing from its legitimate domain (language features) and
extend it to something as naturally diverse as web frameworks.  (I'll
admit there's an uneasy middle ground, and the standard library
probably should strive to hew more closely to the "one way" principle,
but for anything non-trivial enough that it's not a monolythic whole,
there will naturally be multiple ways to get at the functionality, even
if the lower level methods aren't intended for use outside the
implementation.  Balance is the way...)

> Most importantly, the more web frameworks there are the more meeting
> presentations we can have!

And, I keep hoping, the better the odds that one will come along that
doesn't assume that it's the king, and the data schema (both design and
implementaion) is subservient to its current refactoring.  I don't hope
too hard, though, because frameworks seem to be more popular the less
flexible they are outside of the scope of the style of app they most
target (and that always means web, web, web).

--
During much of that epoch [the thirties and early forties],
I gained my livelihood writing for the silver screen,