[Chicago] guido @ google

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 19:01:19 CET 2005

Google uses Python for the things Python is good for. I would guess
they use C for the heavy lifting. I have at least once received a web
form from Google with a ".py" extension though.

I would guess that the per-client work is often done in Python and the
heavy-lifting server processes are in something else, mostly C or C++
most likely.

Python optimizes developer time, C optimizes processor time. Python
wrappers around C form a fair compromise.

My guess is that Python is a big part of Google's eating Microsoft's
lunch; Microsoft can't escape their ridiculous code base.

I will believe that Guido is at Google when he says so or they say so,
not when some blog says so; but I hope it's true. Also I hope Google
steps up to the plate and does more to support the PSF.

mt