[Chicago] Can you write Perl in Python?

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 19:24:48 CET 2005

While it's often said that "you can write Fortran in any language",
not every language allows you to write Perl. Nevertheless, there is a
contest running this week to do exactly that in Python, i.e., minimize
your character count while doing something reasonably useful.

http://www.pycontest.net/

My best to date is 221 characters, but folks on c.l.p. (see "python
coding contest" thread) are claiming non-cheats of under 140
characters. I may take another stab at it; my 221 character code is
alarmingly sane and readable. I had a much more baroque and Perlishly
flavored version but it turned out to be 20 characters longer...

I wonder if the winning entry won't be something like

import os;return os.system('perl -e "$_($u(!%$f!-)etc.etc."')

Maybe the judges will not accept that though...

mt