[Chicago] [python-advocacy] Marketing Python - An Idea Whose Time Has Come

sdeibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Thu Apr 20 22:27:19 CEST 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Michael Tobis wrote:
> If the foundation has resources to put into this, I'd recommend
> getting the services of a good design and promotion team.

Sure, we need good graphic design for some of the materials
Jeff enumerated.  I'm less clear on how we would find an overall
promotion team and exactly what value they would add.

BTW, the PSF did pay for the website redesign (well, part of
it), so we're not complete strangers to this concept.

> The good/bad news is Ruby.

In terms of the size of the user base, it's still tiny.  Noisy,
perhaps, but tiny.  ;-)  But I think it's entirely valid to worry
that this could change if Python fails to muster some of the
advocacy energy that Ruby has.

> I offerred a zero-fee ten-meeting course in Python for beginners. I
> announced it on the main open source list in Chicago and the ChiPy
> list exactly once each. I had so many people sign up I had to close
> down the registration.

This sounds like a great resource.  Can you share the course
materials?  If so, can we put them on python.org?

Thanks,

- Stephan