[Chicago] [python-advocacy] Marketing Python - An Idea Whose Time Has Come

Lucio Torre lucio at movilogic.com
Thu Apr 20 22:54:08 CEST 2006

sdeibel wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Michael Tobis wrote:
>

>>The good/bad news is Ruby.
>>

>In terms of the size of the user base, it's still tiny.  Noisy,
>perhaps, but tiny.  ;-)  But I think it's entirely valid to worry
>that this could change if Python fails to muster some of the
>advocacy energy that Ruby has.

This reminds me of a quote from bill gates, that went something like this: "When will people undestand that our problem is IBM, not Google!".

And this is a very similar situation. Ruby is smaller, louder, but smaller. Should python care about growing or about not letting anyone grow on its turf?

Off course, this comment is like opening the box of pandora of flames, but with this in mind, the "ruby problem" looks easier, just put some money on turbogears. They are loud, they are fancy, they can promote python for web.

With that problem solved, we can worry about the jackpot, whatever that is.

Lucio.

Some notes:
you want bigger fish to fry than ruby? There are lots of web hosting companies that offer mod_php but no mod_python. There goes our chance at big time web exposure. (how many do offer mod_ruby or whatever its called?)