[Chicago] [python-advocacy] Marketing Python - An Idea Whose Time Has Come

Peter Fein pfein at pobox.com
Fri Apr 21 02:06:16 CEST 2006

True. Though things like http://epydoc.sf.net/ are a nice addition.

> This is at the root of what I don't like about a lot of Python
> packages.  I've heard some Python people refer to good documentation
> as being "newbie-friendly" or "marketing-friendly", but I think of it
> as just being, well, humane.

I just want to get work done.

> When I'm looking at a lot of Python packages--especially the web
> development ones--because of their sparse and often inconsistent
> documentation, they feel like they're unfinished products that are
> still works-in-progress.  They don't "just work"; doing anything
> nontrivial with them almost always involves tripping over outdated
> documentation or code, or running into empty pages of text with TODO's
> on them saying "we need to write this!".

True, though I want to be able to read and modify the source.  Python code
lets me do that much more easily than PHP.  The fact that most Python modules
(esp. the standard library) are written *in python* instead of C is a big
win.

We're going with http://nick.borko.org/pse/

--
Peter Fein                                                     pfein at pobox.com