[Chicago] [Fwd: Any ChiPy plans for PyCon 2008?]

Peter Fein pfein at pobox.com
Wed Dec 6 21:18:11 CET 2006

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 13:57, Ted Pollari wrote:
> I've given a lot of thought to the UofC, given my affiliation(s), but
> sadly it's lacking good public transit or hotel options (one of the
> two might make it work, assuming we could secure space, which I'm
> betting we could).

Public transit in Hyde Park is much better than it's reputation. Sure as heck
better than schamburg or fermi... probably a bit better than Northwestern,
even.  The #6 bus runs every ~15 min and takes <30 min to get the loop,
Metra, #55 to the red line/Midway, green line for the 'adventurous'.  There's
a definite lack of hotels tho.

> Those same two issues handicap the Fermilab idea, IMHO.  It certainly
> would have big-time geeky-cool points, but it's difficult to get to/
> from hotels and restaurants, not to mention downtown, from what I
> remember of my visits there.

Security at Fermi might be annoying for 600 people as well (it is a national
lab, after all)...  Last time I visited Argonne (admittedly about 2 years
ago) they wanted various forms of ID & 1-day advance notice.  IIRC, it was
even more demanding for non-citizens.  Not a big deal for one person, but for
a conference's worth...

Though PyCon may be too 'applied' for the U of C.

--Pete, B.A. 2000 ;)

--
Peter Fein                                                     pfein at pobox.com
773-575-0694                                      Jabber: peter.fein at gmail.com