[Chicago] [Fwd: Any ChiPy plans for PyCon 2008?]

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 16:20:54 CET 2006

Peter's take on this is funny but it sort of misses the point, I think.

May saw a niche and occupied it. If he had the same skills you had he would
be doing something more like what you do, but he doesn't and he isn't, and
we are better off with somebody doing what he does rather than nobody. He is
a collector rather than a good filter (sort of like Slashdot). False
positives (reporting non-stories) is a cost of avoiding false negatives
(missing actual stories) and media that lean toward collection rather than
filtering serve a purpose.

Press releases also serve a purpose, whatever you may think of the press.

May should get one, as should every other local medium we can think of.
Crane's. The Reader. Hell, Chicago Magazine if we can manage to work Charlie
Trotter in somehow.

mt