[Chicago] Tradeoffs (was: Acceptable transit times?)

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Fri Dec 8 19:01:03 CET 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 10:53:40AM -0600, Michael Tobis wrote:
> Chicago itself should be part of our pitch. Evanston maybe, but even that is
> not going to be as much of a draw. I think I would not be alone in being
> disappointed to see it at O'Hare or in the burbs. Few people will see the
> announcement and gather round the family and say "Hey gang! This the
> opportunity we've always wanted to see Naperville!" the way many people
> would about Chicago.

Sure, but this sort of thing always seems to beg the question: are we
"selling" a convention that's worth attending or a vacation with a
conference of secondary interest except as a way of excusing the
expenditure?  Sure, there must be a few who would come only if the
touristy bits attract them, but isn't PyCon aimed at the sort who want
to attend the convention?  Who are more interested in informal
extensions of those discussions than in tours or pub crawls?  (okay,
maybe not the latter <grin>)

Me, I dunno.  Maybe I just don't get conferences.

--
...and of course you must be careful not to overwrite the bounds of
memory blocks, free a memory block twice, forget to free a memory block,